Duplicating CUPS Printer installation

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 5 13:22:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 14:00 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> I need to set up a default CUPS printer on lots of machines in labs
> ( several hundred ;-( ) running Fedora 7. I've got it configured and
> working on one machine. Is there any way to duplicate the settings
> from that machine so that I could install the printer on the other
> machines without running system-config-printer on each machine.
>
> It's not as simple as copying the /etc/cups/printers.conf file to each
> machine.

Are you serving one printer out to all of those computers?  If so, you
shouldn't have to configure anything on them, they'll find the printer
being served to them, and use it.  So long as you configure the server
to allow access (might need both SELinux and firewall tweaking on the
server, I can't remember).

On the other hand, if you were setting up clone machines which all had
their own printers, the exact same models, then I would expect that
copying the customised CUPS files on one machine to the others would do
the trick.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.