Duplicating CUPS Printer installation

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 5 15:20:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 15:54 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> triple boot, machines in our labs ( Linux, Windows2000 and
> WindowsXP ). So we need to be able to print to the printer from all of
> those.
>
> Then we need to charge the students for printing so we have a
> commercial print solution installed on a windows server which looks
> after the various print queues and the student credits.

I believe CUPS is supposed to be able to handle that sort of thing
(there are accounting options, I've never tested to see how, and if, it
works).  If your system had been the other way around, CUPS servers for
everything, you might have had more luck.

> These queues are not automatically discovered by cups. So I have to
> configure the print queues on each box and there are lots of them, 350
> +.

Seeing as Windows is involved, you may want to look into how Samba and
CUPS integrate.  Though I'm wondering if the odd one or two dedicated
Linux boxes could act as a CUPS relay/proxy.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.