Phishing - Linux boxes are vulnerable

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Oct 5 21:11:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 15:13 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Guy Fraser wrote:
> >>
> >> Under Linux they can do what they want, but they are too cheap to hire
> >> someone who has clues and can do it securely.
> >
> > That is a very valid issue. It takes a fair amount of time to design a
> > hardened web server.
>
> Why does such a thing have to be designed more than once?

Ask the developers?

If PHP, Perl, Apache and the FTP server were configured in
a hardened way, we would not have had to reconfigure them
as much as was needed. Now we pretty much use a cookie
cutter on new servers. A lot of time was required developing
an application to maintain access accounts and sites.