rpm and wget -c

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 22:24:22 UTC 2007

Wow, just played with the command rpm --showrc to see just what ftp'ish
command is used by rpm (and hence yum). I'm not easily finding that
info.

Stuck out here in the toolies, running a 56k modem at 28.8 because the
phone lines are all crappy this far from the central phone banks, can I
convince rpm (then yum) to "resume" the download, if my connection is
broken?? It's tough seeing a grown man cry here. I can spend over a
blooming hour or even TWO just getting the megabyte+ sized sqlight files
before I even get to dnloading a file. One burp and everything is
toast.

The "wget -c" command, or something that works like that, would REALLY
suit my needs, and I believe the needs of others as well. If some kind
soul would chime in and give me the skinny, I'd be forever in their
debt. It would be even better if I could just change one entry to cause
all apps to perform like this system wide. Would THAT ever make my day.

Come to think of it, having this kind of answer for DSL or whatever
connection used, would be a good thing. Zmodem had the "resume" feature
almost 30 years ago. Thanks, in advance, for any considerations. Ric

p/s Just checked the progress of my "yum'ing" and got this:
/primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
so ... it's trying another mirror. Someone just shoot me. <BLAM!>
<-thud-> No "yum" in the hereafter. Just sweet bliss.

It's 5:43 pm so I would think that the mirrors would be synced.

p/p/s

Marking k3d-0.6.6.0-1.fc7.i386.rpm to be installed
primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 3.8 MB
20:54
ftp://fedora.bu.edu/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 336 kB
01:48
http://mirror.hiwaay.net/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
primary.sqlite.bz2         82% |====================     | 3.1 MB
03:46 ETA

<crying softly, hopelessly watching my life just drain away>

As Marvin the paranoid robot said, "I'm depressed.",
and "I have the brain the size of a planet ...and I'm parking cars."

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar