[Fedora] Local Copy of Repository

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Oct 7 04:52:55 UTC 2007

das wrote:
> I want to keep a local copy of the Fedora 7 repository, only the i386
> branch. This will be updated in regular intervals, that I can break it
> into DVD-s (or, even CD-s) and write them, and after installing F7 in a
> machine, the 'yum' can be run on these DVD-s.
>
> Now, can anyone please suggest a very simple way of doing this thing?
    You can use rsync with any of the mirrors to keep a local copy.  I
have a shell script that I run every so often:

~:> cat rsync.sh
echo "Getting Fedora Core 7 Updates...";
echo -e "********************************\n";
rsync --verbose --progress --archive \
--partial --delete --delete-excluded \
--exclude SRPMS/ \
--exclude ppc/ \
--exclude ppc64/ \
--exclude x86_64/ \
--exclude i386/debug/ \
--exclude i386/repodata/ \
rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/7/ "/home/Fedora 7/Updates/";

    This will fetch just the i386 folder from mirrors.kernel.org and
dump it into /home/Fedora7/Updates.  I suggest you look at the actual
mirror first to see what folder they have and what the full path is to
the repository - each one is different.  And some places won't mirror
everything either, so you have to look and then tell rsync what you want
excluded...