rpm and wget -c

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Oct 7 11:04:29 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 18:15 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Ric, I am tired of your constant effort to make us feel sorry for you.
>> Change and read the man page on F7 for wget and read it with care. Now
>> you can download a DVD size file over a few days and always stay connected.
>>
>> Yum will work the same way if you do what you were told to.
>>
>> Now enjoy life and stop complaining.
>>

> Karl, WTF are you talking about??
>
> I use wget all the time. I asked IF I could somehow use that with my rpm
> and yum attempts, as when I get knocked off, I'm not seeing them
> "resume". I'd LIKE to see them resume from where the files stopped at
> instead of starting over. It seems to my simple brain that that would be
> really a nice feature.
>
> I don't give one crap for anyone feeling sorry for me. Read what I
> wrote, for the love of God and my sanity. Yes, I read the man pages for
> both rpm and yum and see no mention of it. I could have missed it, but
> not for lack of trying. So, I asked. You could have just directed me to
> the instance, since you appear to know so fsking much, instead you sent
> this pointless drivel. Nor have I seen a post where anyone offered an
> direct answer to my problem to force a "resume" or direct the dnload
> operation to wget using -c option, either would have worked better, for
> me.
>
> Tim offered one hint and I replied to see if I was set correctly. I saw
> no whine in it, I merely explained my reasons for the need of it. It
> might be of use to others stuck outside of DSL or Wireless service areas
> as well. Useful in this circumstance, that could be shared with others.
>
> Some folks have replied that yum does "resume" an interrupted dnload. If
> they do, *-I have not seen it-*, which is my simple question ... can it
> be made to do so, all the time, if it doesn't. Tim gave me a hint, that
> some servers may not support that feature. In a previous post I asked if
> one of the maintainers would reply. Anyone else on this list see where I
> asked any GD body to feel SORRY for me, or is Karl the only one that
> takes this tangent?  You really pissed me off there Karl. I've taken my
> share of "Anger Management", but you have managed to push past some
> personally carefully set boundaries there with your choice of words. I
> think you owe me an apology. Ric

    You took it as an insult to say use wget to download rpm files. OK.
I really don't care what YOU do. I use wget because my DSL is so slow.
Takes 24 hours to d/l the F7 DVD. I gather you must have got it somehow.

    From what you say above makes me think you do not understand how
wget works. I have never had a need for help with yum uploads. So can't
say how yum will work. These are the two things you need with F7.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User