rpm and wget -c

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 13:45:40 UTC 2007

<snip>
>Ric, I am tired of your constant effort to make us feel sorry for you.
>Change and read the man page on F7 for wget and read it with care. Now
>you can download a DVD size file over a few days and always stay connected.
>
>Yum will work the same way if you do what you were told to.
>
>Now enjoy life and stop complaining.
<snip>

---current posting by Karl---
>     You took it as an insult to say use wget to download rpm files. OK.
> I really don't care what YOU do. I use wget because my DSL is so slow.
> Takes 24 hours to d/l the F7 DVD. I gather you must have got it somehow.
>
>     From what you say above makes me think you do not understand how
> wget works. I have never had a need for help with yum uploads. So can't
> say how yum will work. These are the two things you need with F7.
>

>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>         Linux User
>         #450462   http://counter.li.org.

?????.

You are obviously not reading the same thing everybody else is
reading.  But that is nothing new.  Nowhere did I detect ANY
resentment or poor attitude in Ric's postings in this thread.  But
your response certainly crossed that line.  This is not your first
such venture into inappropriate responses.  The regulars on this list
know you well enough by this point to partially filter many of your
postings.  But you've crossed the line on this one.  As you did once
before when you and I ended up having a private email exchange with
you although I was not the recipient of your attitude in that instance
either, just didn't appreciate how you had treated someone else.  But
addressing it publicly this time seems necessary.

You continually start new threads (did it again yesterday with a
gfortran posting outside of the thread leaving people wondering if you
were simply throwing out a random posting on that topic or replying to
another thread that we had not read seeing the subject line of that
posting was not of interest to us).  You ignore many suggestions given
to you when you post a problem.  Worse yet you challenge (without
cause or merit) some of these more knowledgeable people trying to help
you.  You've displayed your racist attitudes (postings where you made
comments about the Germans ignoring a posting by myself and someone
else displaying our disgust with the display of discrimination - that
was the last straw for me).  And you launch personal attacks against
people for no reason.

Now I will acknowledge that you are not the only person responsible
for many of the above behaviours.  But you are the only one that I
know that hits all of them, in many cases over and over despite
efforts by people on this list to persuade you otherwise.

I totally agree that you owe Ric an apology as well as members of the
list in general for all of the above mentioned behaviours.

Nobody is perfect.  We can all cross a line sometimes (but there are
some many of us would not cross out of good judgment if nothing else).
 But most people will recognize it when they do and deal with it
appropriately especially when pointed out by a third party uninvolved
in it (as Tim alluded to in this thread when he responded to Ric's
frustrations with your personal attack).

This isn't a bash Karl response.  Nor am I trying to incite a flame
war.  It's a "enough is enough, Karl" response.  As a member of a
community we have a responsibility to strive to conduct ourselves with
honesty, respect, and dignity.  And we also have the responsibility to
hold others to this same standard.  Failing to do that is a silent
show of support or indifference to the breach of acceptable code of
conduct/ethics.  I'm not suggesting the entire list jumps aboard a
person when they breach it.  Nor should someone be corrected for
any/every minor breach, or corrected publicly in every instance.  Good
judgment must prevail when considering such a response.

I'm not going to engage in any further postings on this unless I
really feel compelled in response to something else.

I apologize to those on this list who have no time for such rants.  I
normally don't either.  But at some point a limit is breached and
requires such a response.

Jacques B.