Wget use

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:58:55 UTC 2007

on 10/8/2007 2:21 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 11:22 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I decided to get the F7 live CD .iso file and use wget. I did the
>> first part using my web browser and I found a source for this file in CA
>> which is as close as possible. I had to find a source that uses FTP. As
>> the man pages say wget will only work with a FTP source.
>
> GET(1)                            GNU Wget
> WGET(1)
>
> NAME
>        Wget - The non-interactive network downloader.
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        wget [option]... [URL]...
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        GNU Wget is a free utility for non-interactive download of files
> from
>        the Web.  It supports HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP protocols, as well as
>        retrieval through HTTP proxies.
>
> ... nuff said, Ric

For the CLI challanged there are GUI frontends for wget.  ;-) Gwget
(GNOME) and Kwget (KDE). Never tried the KDE one, not even sure if it
available in Fedora, but the Gwget works fine.

Just a guess here but the source Karl is talking about is probably
Southern Cal. Fast site, reliable, and they offer http, ftp, and rsync.

http://mirrors.usc.edu
ftp://mirrors.usc.edu

If your model 'T' modem downloads get kicked from there it would be you
and not them.  ;-)

--

  David