the other side of wireless security

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Oct 8 15:15:34 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> One amusing side note. The new Ubuntu (7.10) (and I am sorry that I
> am fixated on Ubuntu these days) includes the program aircrack,
> whose only purpose is to crack the WEP encryption of wireless
> connections in the neighborhood.

Really?  It's not possible to use the tool for auditing wireless
security or for other legitimate purposes?  Alert the media, Fedora
has been overtaken by leet haxors and their warez.

> Will f8 be as accommodating, that is,include hacking tools in the
> distribution.

aircrack-ng has been in Fedora for a while now (at least since FC6,
looking at my local mirror).  So yes, it will be in F8 as well.  I'm
not sure if it was in Fedora before it was in Ubuntu or not -- if
there's a race.

You probably won't like the Security LiveCD that Luke Macken put
together.  It's got aircrack-ng and numerous other tools that are
useful for auditing, forensics, and penetration testing.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken/SecurityLiveCD

But I have grown older, and you have grown colder.  And nothing is
very much fun, anymore.