boot time challenge

Scott Henson shenson at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 20:25:49 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:08:39 -0400
> Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> wrote:
>
>> That does seem pretty impressive. Any chance Fedora will
>> accept the challenge and work on its boot time?
>
> Considering the frequency that the average Fedora (or any Linux-based)
> computer gets rebooted, I don't see this as being any concern at all.

I don't think that is a very valid assumption.  My laptop does not sleep
due to an acpi bug, so I shut it down and boot it every time I want to
move it.  Both the shutdown and boot times are quite a bit slower than
comparable distributions (I can get cold hard facts if you would like).
 I would love to see Fedora adopt Ubuntu's tear down approach to halting
the system.  I would love to help on this as well.