2.6.22.9-91 hangs at different points during startup

Jesus Jr M Salvo jesus.m.salvo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:22:56 UTC 2007

On 07/10/2007, Jesus Jr M Salvo <jesus.m.salvo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I currently have the following x86_64 kernels:
>
> 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
> 2.6.22.7-85.fc7
>
> ... on a Compaq Presario V6017AU with AMD Turion64 x2. Prior to
> installing 2.6.22.9-91, I have been using 2.6.22.7-85 for some time
> without any problems.
>
> However, after installing 2.6.22.9-91, I could not even get to the
> stage of logging in via X windows. I always get a freeze / hang during
> startup ... but the freeze is not consistent, it is quite random.
> Sometimes, during USB initialisation, sometimes after, etc...
>
> The only thing that I have tried to find out the difference is
> comparing the output in /var/log/messages between the 2 kernels. Some
> of the differences that i found was:
>
> 1) The with .7-85 kernel, it was using a "Generic RTC driver" while
> with the .9-91, it was using "Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac". ( Are
> they even different drivers or is it the same driver which changed
> name from one version to another ? )
>
> 2) .7-85 kernel logged the message
>
> kernel: drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
>
> ... while .9-91 did not log this message.
>
> 3) .7-85 kernel logged the messages:
>
> kernel: rtc_cmos 00:07: rtc core: registered rtc_cmos as rtc0
> kernel: rtc0: alarms up to one year, y3k
>
> ... which .9-91 did not log.
>
> Can anyone recommend another way of finding out why I would get a
> freeze during startup with .9-91 ?

I just realised that I am having the same problem with 2.6.22.7-85.fc7
... IF .... I start with init level 3 ( I append 3 at the kernel
parameters in grub ). Starting with init level 5 does not have the
problem.

Of course, when running 2.6.22.9-91.fc7, I still dont have the nvidia
binary module installed for that kernel yet, so I start it at run
level 3 ( also by appending 3 at the kernel parameters in grub ).

Can anyone shed some light ?