GPL

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 12:04:54 UTC 2007

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 06:30:02PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> MySql also has a commercial license
>
> MySQL also has a *proprietary* license which they sell you (commercially).
>
> Free Software is also commercial! You can use Free Software to gain money
> even if you release your program under the GPL.

You can sell one copy - but you can't prevent that customer from giving
away copies to everyone else.  Or you can give the program away yourself
and sell support.

>> if you don't want to release your
>> product under the GPL.  But again, postgresql, apache and tomcat do not
>> have the GPL restrictions and there is no problem building commercial
>> applications with them.

> There isn't any problem building commercial applications with MySQL's GPL
> version. MySQL is capitalizing on the confusion between the terms
> proprietary and commercial in order to convince many to buy their
> proprietary license.

If you use libraries (like the MySQL client) covered by the GPL and
distribute the program, the entire work must be under GPL terms -
although I think an earlier message had a link to an exception for MySql
for some other open source license terms.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com