CD/DVD drive not recognized.

Simon Slater pyevet at aapt.net.au
Tue Oct 9 13:06:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 19:15 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 08 October 2007 05:44, Simon Slater wrote:

> > > If it's an IDE device (typically CD/DVD drives are) it will be a
> > > /dev/hd? device.  Where it sits on the IDE chain will dictate if it's
> > > hda, hdb, hdc, or hdd.  The primary/master drive on the first IDE
> > > chain is hda.  The secondary/slave drive is hdb.  The primary/master
> > > on the second IDE chain (assuming your motherboard has 2 because some
> > > newer ones don't) is hdc, and the secondary/slave on the 2nd IDE chain
> > > is hdd.
> > >
> > > If it's an external USB/firewire drive then it will be /dev/sd?.
> > >
> > > Type the following to find out:
> > >
> > > dmesg | grep dvd
> > > (you could also try dmesg | grep cd
> > > or dmesg | grep hd[a-z]
> > > or dmesg | grep sd[a-z]
> > > or other possible grep expressions such as the manufacturer of your
> > > device).
> > >
> > > It should show up in there.  If it doesn't, it likely wasn't
> > > recognized by Fedora.
> > >
> > > If it comes up, have a look to see how it was recognized.
> > >
> > > There are other ways to look for it.  lspci if a pci device.  lsusb if
> > > a USB device.  And others probably have yet other suggestions.  I was
> > > first taught dmesg and have found it invaluable for such
> > > troubleshooting issues.
> > >
> > > You could also check your BIOS to make sure it is picking it up.
> > > Although I'm gathering it is seeing you were likely able to boot your
> > > Fedora install DVD from it to install it to your hard drive in the
> > > first place.
> > >
> > > Jacques B.
> >
> > dmesg | grep dvd yields nothing.
> > dmesg | grep cd gives lines for ?hci_hcd which is all USB stuff I think.
> > dmesg | grep sd output is:
> > [simon at Acer ~]$ dmesg | grep sd
> > SCSI device sda: 156301488 512-byte hdwr sectors (80026 MB)
> > sda: Write Protect is off
> > sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
> > SCSI device sda: write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't
> > support DPO or FUA
> > SCSI device sda: 156301488 512-byte hdwr sectors (80026 MB)
> > sda: Write Protect is off
> > sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
> > SCSI device sda: write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't
> > support DPO or FUA
> >  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 >
> > sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
> > sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
> > sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
> > sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
> > sdhci: SDHCI controller found at 0000:0f:06.3 [104c:803c] (rev 0)
> > EXT3 FS on sda5, internal journal
> > SELinux: initialized (dev sda5, type ext3), uses xattr
> > sd 0:0:0:0: freeze
> > sdhci 0000:0f:06.3: freeze
> > sdhci 0000:0f:06.3: LATE freeze
> > sdhci 0000:0f:06.3: EARLY resume
> > sdhci 0000:0f:06.3: resuming
> > sd 0:0:0:0: resuming
> > SCSI device sda: 156301488 512-byte hdwr sectors (80026 MB)
> > sda: Write Protect is off
> > sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
> [...]
All info gladly taken on board, Nigel.  The drive worked with boot.iso
CD where I did an NFS install (see an earlier thread).  The Fedora 7 DVD
was purchased.  I have not run yum update yet.  It can take a long time
on dialup.

GRUB menu shows:
	Fedora (2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen)
and	Fedora-base (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)

This problem happens when booting to either.  On our system I would
retain the Xen kernel to play with virtualization, but on the system
that I'm setting up the base kernel is all that is needed.

I have deliberately avoided toying with different kernels, or even
updating the kernel for that matter, until my knowledge of Linux grows
some more.  I still haven't got ftape working with FC6 yet, it needs
kernel modules being compiled as I recall. I suppose that I don't need
to now with the new DVD burner.

I'll have a closer look on Fedora Forum, thanks.

--
Regards
Simon