The case against NetworkManager

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:30:40 UTC 2007

2007/10/9, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie>:
> I see that there is a proposal to make NM (Network Manager)
> a standard feature of Fedora-8, replacing system-config-network
> in its various forms.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea.
> NM does not work with my Orinoco PCMCIA classic gold card.
> It sends out a message saying something like "Get a better card".
> Basically, I believe the Orinoco card does not support
> the kind of scanning that NM uses.
>
> The Orinoco card has an exceptionally good antenna -
> much better than any other PCMCIA or USB WiFi device I have tried.
> The card works perfectly without NM,
> and NM doesn't really offer anything I need.
>
> I realize that NM works perfectly for many people,
> and it is fine to offer it as a package, even a recommended one.
> But the alternatives should not be removed.
>
> I actually think NM tries to do far too much.
> I don't seen any advantage in software that deals with WiFi
> and ethernet together.
> (NM seems to try to work with Bluetooth also.)
> As Ken Thompson said, "A program should do one thing,
> and do that well".
>
> In my experience, WiFi is already complicated enough.
> If it works it is fine;
> but if it doesn't it is rather difficult to work out
> what is wrong.
> I don't think system-config-network (or its GUI variants)
> is very good, but at least it is along the right lines.
> I wish some effort could be put into improving this.
>

> --

I agree with you: I am using F8T3 and I have found that NM is not
working properly, I mean that it doesn't fulfill the need of an
average user.
I have DNS destroyed by NM and also Ethernet's TCP/IP were deleted.
This was due to the fact that the programmers believed that DHCP shoul
rule any network, that of course is not true.

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag