F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Tue Oct 9 14:50:25 UTC 2007

Up until this past weekend, I had a very happy dual boot configuration
with Windows XP (32 bit) and Fedora 7 x86-64 on my machine. It had been
a few weeks since I had last booted Linux, and I hadn't had any problems
with it before now. I got the latest kernel and other updates via yum as
I normally do, but when I went to reboot, all I got was a simple text
message saying "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner of my screen, and
that's all I've gotten ever since.

I just tried to do an upgrade install of Fedora 7 to fix the issue, and
specifically told it to replace the boot loader configuration on the
proper partition, but that didn't work to correct the issue. A little
more detail is that I'm using the Windows XP boot.ini/boot configuration
to load WinXP or to load GRUB which in turn loads Linux. Could this be
an issue where I need to get a new copy of the boot sector for F7?
(Booting the rescue CD, and getting the first 512 bytes of the boot
partition, and copying it over to the Windows partition so it can
properly init everything?) If not, what should I do to recover this
installation?

Thanks,
Raymond

P.S. For the record, SELinux is disabled if that helps any.