_X11TransSocketINETConnect() fails when install FC6

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Tue Oct 9 19:03:37 UTC 2007

I picked up a used Dell OptiplexG260 from the university surplus.  I
assume it had WinXP on it (didn't look).  I slipped in the FC6 install
#1, and ran through the install in text mode, because I got this message:
_X11TranSocketINETConnect() can't get address for localhost :6001 :
Temporary failure in name resolution     Cannot open display ":1"

After install, it boots to login, rather than graphic.  Do I have to do
something about wiping drive, before installing FC6 from CD?  How do I
correct display, and get graphics running in runlevel 5 at boot?  Any
pointers to steps greatly appreciated.
Tom