F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Tue Oct 9 21:52:56 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Thank you for giving me the instructions on installing GRUB, but I'm
>> very nervous about disturbing Windows again, and thus having to
>> install two OSes again.
>>
>> Raymond
>>
>    Why did grub not boot both windows and Linux after you loaded
> Linux? In the load sequence it gets to the grub section and ask's if
> you want it. Then if yes you set up Linux and windows to be booted.
> Why did this not work?

As I stated, Windows XP did not like having the MBR tampered with. I'm
not a MCSE, so I didn't do much in the way of troubleshooting Windows,
nor did I feel like going through the hassles on my personal computer.
Furthermore, it was 7 months ago that I did the installations, and the
details are no longer as clear as they once were.
>    You can reload the boot for windows by just running the install CD
> for winXP. You should not ever lose windows.

See above. The few times I did try to use the WinXP recovery, I chose to
use the automated recovery which failed to do anything useful.
>    Tell us more about your setup. How many hard drives? How did you
> make partitions? Which partitions do you have now? What are the names
> of the partitions, like /dev/sda3 and such?

At the time of installation, there was just a single SATA hard disk
which I partitioned during WinXP's installation. As I'm about 20 miles
from the machine at the moment (accessing it via RDP over ssh), I can't
exactly pop a CD into it and boot linux to find out all the details at
this time; I'll do that this evening. But, if memory serves, the Linux
partition is at /dev/sda2.