How to remove packages by arch?

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Oct 9 22:22:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 17:09 -0500, John Pierce wrote:
> Hello, I just installed the 64 bit version of fedora 7 and I would
> like to be able to get rid of the i386 packages.  I have almost 2 of
> everything installed, and not just the devel packages.

You can use globbing ("*" and "?") along with the "package_name.arch"
format to remove all 32-bit packages as follows:

# yum remove '*.i?86'

Note that if you want to install a package in the future, specifying the
name will default to installing all possible arches, if there is more
than one. If you do not wish for this to happen, you can use the exclude
key along with the same glob as above to prevent Yum from installing
_any_ 32-bit packages in the future by adding "exclude=*.i?86" to
your /etc/yum.conf file.

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479