F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Tue Oct 9 22:46:06 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
> Raymond,
>
> Are you getting the grub prompt right away, or after selecting it from
> the Windows boot loader menu?  If you are getting it right away, then
> it would appear that grub has replaced your Windows boot loader (which
> is not such a bad thing in the end).  I suspect that is not the case
> as you have not indicated that you cannot boot into your Windows
> partition, just your Linux one.
>
> If the Windows boot loader is coming up and allowing you to boot into
> Windows no problem, but when selecting to boot into Linux you get the
> grub prompt, then again the problem lies with grub configuration and
> your Windows boot loader IS working properly from the looks of it
> contrary to what Karl is suggesting.
>
> It is important to know how your system is booting and where it is
> failing.  Any advice without knowing this is potentially erroneous
> advice because it may be faulting the wrong thing.
>
> Jacques B.

Windows is booting and functioning as well as Windows can. (Tongue in
cheek, but no problems have developed recently, and I am sending these
messages from the Windows installation on the problem machine.) The
normal Linux boot process was to see the Windows boot menu, select the
Linux installation, hit Enter, then see the GRUB splash screen with the
countdown timer, which then booted the most recently installed kernel by
default. (Which I've seen as normal.) But, what I'm seeing currently on
the machine is just after selecting the Linux installation and pressing
Enter, are just a black screen, with white text, stating simply "GRUB"
in the upper left corner. I wouldn't exactly call it a prompt as there
is no indication that it's waiting for any input, and nothing appears
when I type. Doing the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete) has no
effect, and in order to get the machine to do anything again, you either
have to hit the reset button or toggle the power. Well, I take that
back, I can play with scroll lock, num lock, and caps lock lights via
their respective keys. :-)

Thanks Jacques,
Raymond