F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Oct 9 22:53:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 15:46 -0700, Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> Jacques B. wrote:
> > Raymond,
> >
> > Are you getting the grub prompt right away, or after selecting it from
> > the Windows boot loader menu?  If you are getting it right away, then
> > it would appear that grub has replaced your Windows boot loader (which
> > is not such a bad thing in the end).  I suspect that is not the case
> > as you have not indicated that you cannot boot into your Windows
> > partition, just your Linux one.
> >
> > If the Windows boot loader is coming up and allowing you to boot into
> > Windows no problem, but when selecting to boot into Linux you get the
> > grub prompt, then again the problem lies with grub configuration and
> > your Windows boot loader IS working properly from the looks of it
> > contrary to what Karl is suggesting.
> >
> > It is important to know how your system is booting and where it is
> > failing.  Any advice without knowing this is potentially erroneous
> > advice because it may be faulting the wrong thing.
> >
> > Jacques B.
> >

> Windows is booting and functioning as well as Windows can. (Tongue in
> cheek, but no problems have developed recently, and I am sending these
> messages from the Windows installation on the problem machine.) The
> normal Linux boot process was to see the Windows boot menu, select the
> Linux installation, hit Enter, then see the GRUB splash screen with the
> countdown timer, which then booted the most recently installed kernel by
> default. (Which I've seen as normal.) But, what I'm seeing currently on
> the machine is just after selecting the Linux installation and pressing
> Enter, are just a black screen, with white text, stating simply "GRUB"
> in the upper left corner. I wouldn't exactly call it a prompt as there
> is no indication that it's waiting for any input, and nothing appears
> when I type. Doing the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete) has no
> effect, and in order to get the machine to do anything again, you either
> have to hit the reset button or toggle the power. Well, I take that
> back, I can play with scroll lock, num lock, and caps lock lights via
> their respective keys. :-)
----
You probably need to boot either the installer disk or the rescue disk
in rescue mode (this assumes that /boot is on /dev/sda1 per your earlier
message - adjust as necessary)

'linux rescue'

follow the prompts, networking is likely unnecessary.

'chroot /mnt/sysimage'
# confirm here that /boot is where you think it is
'mount'
# if it is /dev/sda1...
'grub-install /dev/sda1'
#otherwise, adjust as needed