F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Oct 10 00:38:33 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
>> Jacques B. wrote:
>>> Raymond,
>>>
>>> Are you getting the grub prompt right away, or after selecting it from
>>> the Windows boot loader menu?  If you are getting it right away, then
>>> it would appear that grub has replaced your Windows boot loader (which
>>> is not such a bad thing in the end).  I suspect that is not the case
>>> as you have not indicated that you cannot boot into your Windows
>>> partition, just your Linux one.
>>>
>>> If the Windows boot loader is coming up and allowing you to boot into
>>> Windows no problem, but when selecting to boot into Linux you get the
>>> grub prompt, then again the problem lies with grub configuration and
>>> your Windows boot loader IS working properly from the looks of it
>>> contrary to what Karl is suggesting.
>>>
>>> It is important to know how your system is booting and where it is
>>> failing.  Any advice without knowing this is potentially erroneous
>>> advice because it may be faulting the wrong thing.
>>>
>>> Jacques B.
>>>

>> Windows is booting and functioning as well as Windows can. (Tongue in
>> cheek, but no problems have developed recently, and I am sending
>> these messages from the Windows installation on the problem machine.)
>> The normal Linux boot process was to see the Windows boot menu,
>> select the Linux installation, hit Enter, then see the GRUB splash
>> screen with the countdown timer, which then booted the most recently
>> installed kernel by default. (Which I've seen as normal.) But, what
>> I'm seeing currently on the machine is just after selecting the Linux
>> installation and pressing Enter, are just a black screen, with white
>> text, stating simply "GRUB" in the upper left corner. I wouldn't
>> exactly call it a prompt as there is no indication that it's waiting
>> for any input, and nothing appears when I type. Doing the three
>> fingered salute (control-alt-delete) has no effect, and in order to
>> get the machine to do anything again, you either have to hit the
>> reset button or toggle the power. Well, I take that back, I can play
>> with scroll lock, num lock, and caps lock lights via their respective
>> keys. :-)
>>
>> Thanks Jacques,
>> Raymond
>>
> Well this says that grub  is not doing what it should. The windows
> boot does call for a proper linux boot but it is not getting it. So
> the grub boot needs to be fixed.

    Let me add how to fix your grub problem. If your linux system is in
/dev/sda2 then here is what you should do.

    Using a rescue disk just boot up to a prompt. There type grub. When
it is up you do these two things:

# grub root (hd0,1)
# grub setup (hd0,1)
# grub quit

Now get out of the rescue mode and you should be able to boot up linux
in the same old way.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User