F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 10 04:17:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 15:00 -0700, Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> The reason I'm wondering if a kernel update might have triggered my
> problem is because the fedoraproject.org page I referenced
> specifically states "you must reconfigure your primary
> boot loader whenever you install and boot from a new kernel."

Normally, that's managed for you.  The yum and rpm methods of installing
a new kernel update the grub.conf file to make use of the new kernel.
Nothing else should need updating for it to work.  Your previous
bootloaders carry on doing what they used to - load up the menu, it's
the menu that gets changed.

Lilo was a different kettle of fish, code written into the mbr needed to
be changed to refer to an updated kernel.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.