OT - Backing up Windows machines

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 19:15:00 UTC 2007

Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 01:38:57PM -0400, aragonx at dcsnow.com wrote:
>> So, the question is, what is everyone else using to create images of their
>> machines?
>
> Haven't bothered with images, but I have used CygWin + bash on the
> Win box to run MS Backup from an intelligent script to a Samba shared
> drive on the Linux box; with the recovery floppy, this has worked.
> (Script available on request.)
>
> I've also used EMC (Dantz) Retrospect on the Win box to a Samba share.

If you want this all automated with compression and all duplicate files
linked to save space and a nice web interface for browsing and restoring
backups, look at http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/.  It doesn't do image
copies but people have worked out ways to use MS backup for the system
state to a file, then back that up with backuppc along with all the
data. Backuppc can use tar, rsync or smb to access the targets.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com