Cannot mount hard disk

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Oct 10 19:19:20 UTC 2007

> On 10/10/07, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>
>>> EXT3-fs error (device sdc2): ext3_check_descriptors: Inode table for
>>> group 291 not in group (block 1082228738)!
>>> EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I could mount it with no problem.
>> Sounds like something bad has happened to the filesystem... that block
>> number is rather large too... has this filesystem been copied around
>> between partitions in its history?  Or resized?
>>
>> I would make sure it is umounted and then
>>
>> # fsck -f /dev/sdc2
>>
>> and see what happens.
>
> Thanks, Andy and Karl. I did not do anything with /dev/sdc2. I suspect
> that the problem may have been caused by the hibernation of my
> computer that I did today. Meanwhile, I ran fsck, and now I can mount
> the disk. Can I be sure that the integrity of the data in /dev/sdc2
> has not been affected?

I guess one should have a look in lost+found in the mountpoint and see
what has ended up in there.  Usually in my experience unless there is an
underlying problem such as the partition is smaller than the filesystem
says it is if fsck is happy and whatever made the problem in the first
place doesn't keep happening, you usually don't lose much.

-Andy