symlink of /home causes mail delivery failure

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Oct 11 14:20:32 UTC 2007

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to make my /home directory a symlink to something on a
> different disk (i.e., symlink across filesystems). It appeared to work
> fine when browsing directories, but mail delivery stopped!
>
> I'm using Postfix, with procmail doing the local delivery.
>
> Is there any reason that procmail (or anything else) would fail if
> /home is a symlink?
>
> - Mike

    I would not know. Depends on the type of link perhaps? My /home is
also in a different partition but I connect it to this main tree with an
entry in /ect/fstab and mine looks like this:
[karl at k5di ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda5               /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda7               /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda6               /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2

Notice the line for /home and this has home look and feel like it is
attached. But do a $df and it will show you it is really /dev/sda7

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User