mplayer without libmp3lame support

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 11 18:44:10 UTC 2007

das wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:10 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> What are the permissions on ./configure, I'm betting it doesn't
>> include
>> "x".  You can't execute with out "x".  You *can* however, read it as
>> input to the shell if it has "r" permissions.
>
> Do you think I shouldn't check it before giving you all this trouble?
> OK, here it is again. The result all the three executables.
>
>  ls -l configure version.sh codec-cfg
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22301 2007-10-11 13:16 codec-cfg
> -rwxrwxr-x 1 1003 1003 234082 2007-10-08 01:19 configure
> -rwxrwxr-x 1 1003 1003    145 2007-10-08 01:19 version.sh
>
> And the peculiar thing is that 'sh ./configure' is running it, but
> not ./configure. And after ./configure is run, the config.log is giving
> very correct results.

I had the same symptoms when a cdrom was mounted without execute
permission, and I attempted to run a shell script on the cd. The script
could not be run directly, but 'sh script.sh' worked. That is until that
script attempted to run another script on the cd, at which point it
again gave me a permission denied error message similar to yours.

So perhaps for some mysterious reason, your filesystem is being mounted
without execute permission? In the case of my cd drive, I fixed it by
remounting it with an entry in fstab that set the 'exec' flag:
/dev/hdc  /media/cdrecorder  auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0