symlink of /home causes mail delivery failure

yantux yantux yantux at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 12 06:50:47 UTC 2007

11.10.07, 20:43, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak (mjc at avtechpulse.com):

> Alastair Neil wrote:
> >     I was hoping to avoid dedicating a whole partition to /home, so I'm
> >     trying the symlink approach instead. Except procmail doesn't seem to be
> >     doing the right thing...
> >
> > IMO  a separate partition is a very sensible idea, it allows you to
> > upgrade and re-install the system without losing your precious data.
> > However in this case a bind mount might solve your problem:
> >
> > mount -rbind /where-ever/home /home
> That didn't work either...
> I can execute procmail manually with a test message, and it just doesn't
> work when the /home folder is symlinked or bind/rbind mounted. (It works
> fine when the /home folder is a "normal" folder.)
> No error message is given, which is odd.
> - Mike

try it:
mount --bind /where-ever/home /home

I think that your problem have right add to BugZilla of developers procmail. May be procmail use state() instead open() function. Because you have problem.

P.S. But I not like --bind and other complex shared, slave, parent flags of mount utility. Symbol links saved on hdd. Result of works --bind options save only in kernel space (VFS), not on hdd.