symlink of /home causes mail delivery failure

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Fri Oct 12 12:58:43 UTC 2007

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Alastair Neil wrote:
>>     I was hoping to avoid dedicating a whole partition to /home, so I'm
>>     trying the symlink approach instead. Except procmail doesn't seem
>> to be
>>     doing the right thing...

To follow up:

"symlink"ing /home, and "mount -bind"ing /home broke procmail in some
difficult-to-debug manner. It just doesn't work... symlinking the my
postgresql data folder worked fine so you'd think procmail would be
trivial...

Anyway, I gave up on that approach, plugged in a new disk, and mounted
/home on its own encrypted partition using /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab.

That works really well. dmcrypt/luks is pretty slick!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!

- Mike