[Fedora] semi-OT: easy backup solution for FC5

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Oct 12 15:07:04 UTC 2007

Peter Horst wrote:
> Hi - I'm wondering if there is something in the Fedora/Linux world
> comparable to the Windows-only Maxtor OneTouch external HD - i.e. a
> more or less idiot-proof automatic (incremental) backup system.  Time
> is tight right now, but I'm getting really paranoid not having my
> ~100GB Fedora machine backed up.  Any recommendations?
> Thanks much -

    Well, not exactly like the OneTouch solution, but I can tell you
what I do to backup 15 servers every night.  I have 1 dedicated machine
that's the backup server.  It has a large RAID 5 setup in it for data
storage.  All of the servers will run rsync every night and backup their
data to the backup machine.  I use a system of hardlinks between backups
which allows the snapshots to take little space (compared to the actual
one) and it allows me to keep anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks worth of
data that way.

    When looking at the backup folder for each server, you'll see a
folder for each day, daily.01, daily,02, daily.nth.  The .01 is the full
backup (and the largest folder).  The remaining ones are hardlinks to
the previous one.  If a file gets removed from a server, it will get
removed from that night's backup, but not from the previous nights.  So
I can go back and recover it if needed.

    It is fully automated in that all I do is set the scripts and paths,
create a crontab and I forget about it.  once a week I will log onto the
backup server and check the backups, make sure they're still working and
that the RAID is healthy.  That's it.  No hassles, no manual triggering,
nothing.  Just set and forget,