Ipods

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Oct 13 00:05:42 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> No, udev works fine.  The thing appears as "/media/Rick Stevens's iPod"
> (spaces included), which is difficult to make work in Amarok.

Really?  I didn't imagine amarok would so fragile about spaces.  I'm
pretty sure I've seen it handle them in filenames before (though I'm
not a regular user of it at all).

> To get around that, I unmounted it and manually mounted it as root
> using:
>
> 	# mkdir /media/ipod
> 	# chmod 777 /media/ipod
> 	# mount -t hfsplus -ouid=500,gid=500,umask=0 \
> 		/dev/sdc3 /media/ipod
>
> It mounted up at /media/ipod, an "ls -l /media/ipod" reveals
> everything has decent permissions (777 or 666, depending) and I'm
> shown as the user and group for almost everything (some stuff is
> "nobody").  However, amarok still bitches that it's a read-only file
> system and thus won't show a playlist or anything.  More or less
> useless.

Indeed.  I know that amarok use libgpod for its ipod services.  I'd be
very interested in finding out if there is a bug someplace in libgpod
that's causing your trouble, because I'd like to get it fixed.  If you
have time for fiddling and want to try and debug this, let me know.

Is this on FC6 or F7?  I'm planning to finally get an updated libgpod
pushed to F7, hopefully early next week.  FC6 will probably stay where
it is.  I mention this on the off chance that there's a bug which has
already been fixed by newer versions of libgpod.

The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or
fears or wishes rather than with their minds.
    -- Will Durant