2.6.23 kernel

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Oct 13 23:27:22 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb <at> tiscali.fr> writes:
> I only mention the hda-intel cards because I'm trying to help someone with a
> problem with no sound on their Acer Aspire 5720 notebook, using the ALC268
> codec. Patches to fix problems with Realtek codecs are in alsa driver 1.0.15,
> but as 1.0.15 is not going to turn up until the 2.6.24 kernel, I need to find
> out how to upgrade a 1.0.14 alsa driver for a currently running 2.6.22 kernel
> to the latest 1.0.15 one.

Of course no guarantees that they'll do it, but you can try asking the Fedora
kernel maintainers if they can backport ALSA 1.0.15 to the Fedora kernels. If
you can give concrete hardware it improves support for (and it looks like
that's the case), they'll probably consider it. (And that's the advantage of
distro kernels, you often get stuff before the Linus kernel gets it, for
example for wireless drivers.)

        Kevin Kofler