2.6.23 kernel

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Oct 14 00:34:37 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:

>> I will then download the 2.6.23 kernel from kernel.org and compile it
>
> Don't. Res is a known troll who hates all vendor patches, no matter how
> much bugs they fix. Fedora kernels have patches which fix bugs, improve
> hardware support (such as the latest wireless driver backports) and
> sometimes add features (for example, if you want 2.6.23 for the Completely
> Fair Scheduler, don't bother, you're already running it if you're on a
> Fedora 2.6.22 kernel!).

Res's comments were silly,
but I don't agree with your comments here either.
I usually compile vanilla kernels and run the distribution kernels too.
I've never known the distribution kernel to fix any bugs,
and I've seen several distribution kernels which introduced bugs
(not recently, admittedly).

> Compiling a kernel also requires experience (you have to know how to
> configure it properly) and takes time.

I agree that configuring the kernel is not as simple as some have suggested;
on the other hand it only takes half-an-hour or so to go through the options
if you have .config for the previous kernel.
It isn't brain surgery.