write large amount of data to CD-R media

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 02:42:14 UTC 2007

I'm going to be writing a large amount of data to disc, CD-R, and would
like to be able to select a folder of many GB and have it the files
written to disc automagically.

I kinda like <http://dar.linux.free.fr/doc/Features.html>, and there's a
KDE front-end, but haven't used it yet.  I like the idea of slices (one
disc=one slice?) and direct access, which the help page explains by
stating that:

"even using compression dar has not to read the whole backup to extract
one file."

So, if I know that the particular file I'm looking for is on disc 6
(meaning slice 6?), then I can just pop disc 6 in and extract it?  Can I
also extract the entire slice with one go?

I say "extract", but I don't have intentions of using compression.

I'm looking for user experience with DAR or similar tools.

thanks,

Thufir