2.6.23 kernel

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Oct 14 03:55:11 UTC 2007

Res <res <at> ausics.net> writes:
> Yes it takes time, on my tiny desktop of p4 2.4g with only a measy 1 gig
> ram, it takes a whole 12 mintues to build and install, wow if you cant
> drag yourself away from the pc for 12 pissy little minutes, you seriously
> have problems

The time it needs depends on the number of modules you pick (and the time you
spend configuring to select exactly the modules you need is _your_ time, not
the computer's time, so there's a point at which it makes more sense to just
enable what might be useful, also because you don't want to have to go back
later and rebuild to add the modules you didn't compile but end up needing) and
the speed of the computer. On a slow machine (like my PII 266 laptop), it can
take hours. (Of course, I rebuilt a Fedora SRPM, with all the modules that
enables, just adding a patch, but see the previous point, reducing the compile
time would have meant spending _my_ time on improving the configuration. The
patch is no longer necessary and I'm running stock Fedora kernels on that
laptop now, by the way.)

        Kevin Kofler