2.6.23 kernel

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Oct 14 09:17:22 UTC 2007

Res wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Res <res <at> ausics.net> writes:
>>> Yes it takes time, on my tiny desktop of p4 2.4g with only a measy 1 gig
>>> ram, it takes a whole 12 mintues to build and install, wow if you cant
>>> drag yourself away from the pc for 12 pissy little minutes, you
>>> seriously
>>> have problems
>>
>> The time it needs depends on the number of modules you pick (and the
>> time you
>> spend configuring to select exactly the modules you need is _your_
>> time, not
>
> So you don't copy over your '.config'? you spend 30 minutes each time
> re-inventing your wheel :) maybe you should be vanished back to winblows
> then, as you seem to like bloated vendor OS's/kernels you'll be right at
> home, then again, many people now days say Raleigh is Redmond so what
> does it matter.

Have you evaluated your savings in compiling your own kernel? Vendors'
kernels may be comprehensive, but I doubt that they actually use more
RAM than a self-compiled one does.

My concern with building a kernel that's significantly different from
the vendors' is that vendors' scripts make some assumptions, such as
that one uses modules, such as that certain modules are available.

I will build a kernel if I must, but I prefer to use vendors' source
where possible.

This is no place for rudeness, and it's wrong to assume everyone's
computer facilities are as well-endowed as one's own.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait