Lacie Mobile driver is unknown to Fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 14 15:26:57 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> You aren't trying to connect two drives at the same time with the
>> same volume name?

Antonio:
> Of course not!!! I connected the external USB drive to two different
> PC with no other USB drive

Well, it was always on the cards.  If I had two external drives, I might
use them on the same box, at some time or other.  Perhaps to move files
around between them.

>> Just to see what happens, if you can, connect the problem drive to
>> the Windows box, and rename it.  Now, see if it works in Linux.

> Funny: it did the trick.....renaming label was sufficient to have my
> USB disk appearing on my Linux boxes....it is a kind of magic, isn't
> it???

;-)

I probably wouldn't have seen your problem, for a couple of reasons:
I'd probably have re-formatted them.  And whether or not I did, I would
have renamed them, giving them individual names.

I wonder if the big name drives, like Lacie are any better than the
little name (or no brand name) drives?  I've got a cheapie, here, that
causes my modem (in another room) to disconnect.  I did a test that
probably most computer guys wouldn't have the gear to do, connecting an
oscilloscope to the device to see if it was radiating crap.  Sure
enough, if I measure the shield across the USB lead (both ends of the
wire), there's several volts of hash on it from the switch mode power
supply.

The computer is grounded, the external drive is floating.  I connected
the CRO ground to the shield where the USB cord is plugged into the
computer, and the CRO probe to the shield on the other end of the USB
cord (at the drive end).  That hash is across the length of the USB
cable, on the shielding.

When I get around to it, I might try putting a hefty ground wire between
the two cases, and see if that makes any difference.  Lifting the earth
wire on the computer and monitor cables, and putting ferrite beads on
all the USB drive cables went some way towards stopping the disconnects,
but that's the sort of thing (earth lifting) that I only want to
contemplate doing on the test bench.  The obvious good way to handle
this would be (a) get a better USB drive, but I suspect all the locally
sold ones are just as awful, (b) change the LAN NIC for one that uses
transformer coupling, but it's on-board, and a low-profile case.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.