Running Wireless and Wired eth connections at the same time

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 15 13:16:45 UTC 2007

sam wrote:

> Thanks. You understand! However, with setting up two subnets, I have the
> issue of the internal server not being able to see anything but the
> laptop. I'd like a way to be able to allow the internal box to access the
> internet via the laptop's wireless connection...
>
> the basic issue is I'm not sure how to configure the laptop, and the
> internal server to allow the internal server to be able to access the
> internet as well...
>
> here's what i have so far.
>
>                                    >>>>  dns
> internal box   <<<<  >>>laptop >>>+>>>   internet
>   192.168.2.99   (eth0)     (ath0)
>                 192.168.2.33  192.168.1.33
>
> the laptop can access both the internal box, and the internet
> the internal box can only access the laptop...
>
> i'm trying to be able to allow the internal box to be able to access
> everything that the laptop can...

I think (but am not sure) that you need to use NAT
(Network Address Translation) on your laptop.

I think many people do what you are asking,
except that it is normally the other way round -
with a desktop linked to the internet,
and laptop getting to the internet via the desktop.

I have this, and use shorewall on my desktop.
This is the standard Fedora firewall,
but it also includes the option to use NAT.
I think the installation is reasonably clear.

I actually have two local networks, for ethernet and WiFi,
and a third link to the internet.
It all seems to work OK.