Adding IDE card to SATA motherboard

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:47:11 UTC 2007

There's a good chance that my next motherboard won't have enough IDE
ports, and I've got too much IDE hardware to junk it and buy SATA. How
well do PCI cards that add IDE ports work? Any known gotchas? Does the
OS see them as different from the M/B's IDE ports? Specifically, I
need to run two DVD burners and two 400 GB hard drives, all IDE, on a
motherboard with one IDE controller and one SATA controller. Should
the hard drives be on the M/B, and the burners (rarely used) on the
card, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com