dvd writer compatibility

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Oct 16 00:46:54 UTC 2007

jack craig wrote:
> hi fedora folks,
>
> i am about to upgrade to fc7 on my home system.  so far it has only a cd
> rw,
> i want to add a dvd-writer that i can install fc7 from.
>
> i'd like to ask what dvd-writers are known to work? any blu-ray models?

I don't ask about DVD-compatibility with Linux, I just buy. I had some
bad experience a while back with a couple of LG burners, currently I buy
Pioneer. There is a problem with my Pioneer with earlier (RHEL4 level)
versions of growisofs; the solution is to upgrade growisofs. I would
expect any to work; if I didn't have my own preference to avoid LG I'd
probably just accept the behind-the-counter geek's advice.

growisofs supports blu-ray, but they're too pricey for my taste.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait