NoMachines client access to Gnome on F7

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 00:46:16 UTC 2007

I downloaded and installed the free NoMachines NX server on Fedora 7 (had a
few problems but managed to overcome them) and the NX client on Vista. I can
connect from the Vista client to the Fedora server, and, when I select KDE
as the environment, it seems to come up and work just fine. When I select
Gnome, however, the client is missing some of the panel functionality (it
actually came up fine the very first time but the second time, on startup,
the applets failed to load, with alerts displayed, and haven't since). Gnome
still comes up fine when I sign on to F7 directly. I've looked all over the
web and can't find anything to help.

Does anyone on this list have any experience with this? Can anyone help me
out?

Also, from the Vista machine, I can reference my F7 box by either its IP
address or its name (with ping, for example, or using the NX client); either
works. However, from the F7 box, or from another FC6 box, I seem to only be
able to use IP addresses; neither seems to recognize names other than their
own. The 2 Fedora boxes and the Vista machine are all connected to a router
and get assigned their IP addresses from the router. Why can the Vista
machine see the names of the Fedora boxes but the Fedora machines
can't resolve any names? Can they be configured somehow to get name
resolution from the router? Or is there a better approach?

Thanks for any help.