Running Wireless and Wired eth connections at the same time

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 18 07:15:59 UTC 2007

sam wrote:
> John...
>
> The one line that you posted, about "this being wrong" was not directed at a
I think I said "probably wrong."

> posting stating that this was the right/only way to accomplish my goal.
> Rather, the posting that I did, that you replied to, was my solution to the
> issue that I had faced, letting people who had provided information to know
> that I had solved it.

I replied to several. Your initial posting (10/15/07 09:30) was asking
for information.

At 10/17/07 08:22 I asserted Marko was wrong (his post invited that
response) that you needed bridging. Bridging would work, but leave the
network(s) unable to contact the router.

I also outlined my suggestion then.

> I quite clearly posted what my setup was, and what I had changed/modified,
> to allow someone else who might it, to take advantage of the situation.
>
> You as always, are quite able and in fact can add to the knowledgebase if
> you care to by scratching out a rough layout, and describing what should be
> implemented as you would choose to do it.

In the context of your having done something different from what routers
generally do, I said "That's usually wrong "

I should have pruned, but I'd already given the usual solution.

I actually run a similar setup here, including two wireless links:

               In the house:     First building   Second bldg
[internet] --- [router]+[AP} -- [router]-[AP]--- [router]

The first router is a Pentium IV running CentOS4. It's wired to an
access point.

The second router is a laptop running FC5 or so, with a pccard and wired
to a second AP.

The third router is in my office, and runs WBEL4. it has a tp-link PCI
wireless card, and serves the peecees in the office.

I wouldn't ordinarily use two APs for such a setup, but the signal from
the house simply doesn't carry well enough.

 From house to second building is what I'd suggest for most people.
Subject to routing and firewalls all machines can reach all the others.
With your setup, that's not possible.

That's why yours is "usually wrong."