Avoiding gnome keyring password prompt

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Oct 18 11:09:55 UTC 2007

Mogens Kjaer writes:

> I use the gnome keyring to manage the Networkmanager keys
> for WiFi and VPN on F7.
>
> I've tried the trick on:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager
>
> to avoid being prompted for the keyring password.
>
> I've installed pam_keyring and added the
> two lines to /etc/pam.d/gdm (in the correct places),
> the file now contains:
>
> # cat /etc/pam.d/gdm
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required    pam_env.so
> auth       optional    pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
> auth       include     system-auth
> account    required    pam_nologin.so
> account    include     system-auth
> password   include     system-auth
> session    optional    pam_keyinit.so force revoke
> session    include     system-auth
> session    required    pam_loginuid.so
> session    optional    pam_console.so
> session    optional    pam_keyring.so
>
> My logon password and the password for the
> keyring are identical.
>
> After a reboot, I still get prompted for the password!
>
> What have I missed?

Nothing. I was given the same advice about six months ago, when I complained
about this very exact user-unfriendliness, did this, discovered that it
didn't work, gave up, and wrote off this as yet another example of refusal
to understand what the user experience should be.

Rather than screwing around with pam_keyring, there should simply be an
option NOT to have a passphrase-protected keyring in the first place, for
those that don't want it, yet gnome-keyring stubbornly insists on a
password.

Keep in mind that, even in a perfect world, pam_keyring will still not work
if you set gdm to autologin to your main account.