SELinux last straw

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Oct 18 16:47:05 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 12:40 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:27:29PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > >subdirectory of some other machine, then running rsync -avn against the
> > >live one to see what has changed.
> > That might not be good enough.  'rsync -a' will skip more thorough
> > checks if two files size and mod times match.  An attacker could fairly
> > easily produce a binary of the same size, and fix the mod time after
> > installation.
>
> Adding -c will make it do a full checksum of each file. This will be very
> slow but hard to trick.

Does anyone remember "tripwire"?  I used to use it and it worked pretty
well.  Kept the database on a remote share that was mounted ro when it
ran, and rw when the database had to be updated (e.g. after a yum
update).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-              Death is nature's way of dropping carrier             -