transplamting RAID-1 drives

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 18 17:11:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 11:29:32 -0400,
  Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu> wrote:
>    I ran into an interesting problem which I wonder if
> anyone has some insights into. The motherboard on a
> i386 Fedora 7 workstation died recently and we hoped that
> the existing SATA RAID-1 mirror could be moved into a
> new workstation using an opteron processor. The machine
> could find the MBR to start the boot process but couldn't
> find the md partitions to complete the boot. Interestingly

I would suspect a grub issue. Grub refers to drives with device numbers
not labels. So if in the new machine the device number doesn't point to
one of the two mirrored drives, then the boot would fail. If you can get
into grub you should be able to tell it the correct device numbers to get
the system to boot.