Grub Manual

Mike azmr at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 18 22:29:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Alan M. Evans wrote:

>>>        And you are so stupid you make these total wrong statements. Of
>>> course the files are in the root or / directory since they are in their
>>> own partition.
>>>

>> Calling other people "stupid" when they are right and you are wrong is,
>> er, stupid.
>>
>> Just because something is in its own partition does not mean that it is
>> in the root directory, unless that partition is mounted at the root of
>> the file system. Even if it were true (which it is not because the boot
>> partition is never mounted as the root of any file system) it would be
>> misleading because the terminology "root or / directory" unambiguously
>> refers to the root of the file system.
>>
>> I'm frankly amazed that there is a single experienced member of this
>> list that still takes the time to read your posts and reply to correct
>> bad information. You should be thankful, really; but I suppose that's
>> too much to hope for.
>>

>> 	And you and others keep thinking there is just one root directory in
>> your computer. I removed the boot directory from the main root and put it
>> in a whole new partition. Now this whole new partition also has a root
>> directory. Guess where the files are located?

I can't believe I don't have anything better to do on a Thursday
afternoon...

Karl - Have a look at the output from 'df -h' from an FC6 box for
reference.  Notice that there are 7 filesystems (excluding tmpfs).  I'm
trying to follow your logic, vmlinuz and initrd are in 'the' root
directory, but you say all partitions have a root directory?  Just which
partition of the 7 are they actually in?

/dev/hda6             2.4G  290M  2.0G  13% /
/dev/hda1              99M   14M   80M  15% /boot
tmpfs                 379M     0  379M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda8             189G   54G  125G  31% /local
/dev/hda3             9.5G  1.6G  7.5G  17% /tmp
/dev/hda5             5.7G  1.5G  4.0G  28% /usr
/dev/hda2              19G  3.0G   16G  17% /var
/dev/md0              326G   97G  225G  31% /home

I think you almost get it.  Stated loosely, the definition of 'root' is
the actual mount point.  So in this case, /dev/hda6, the partition
mounted at '/' *is* the one and only root.  Make sense?