Grub Manual

Alan M. Evans fedoralist at alanevans.org
Thu Oct 18 22:46:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 16:34 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I put the first part of a manual for Grub on this list and all I get
> is shit from you all about a mis-understanding about what a root
> directory is. I can change that with ease to something you all can live
> with.

Karl, look in the mirror. It was only a big deal because somebody did
point it out to you and you called him "stupid" instead of taking it as
constructive criticism.

>     Now will you please read the whole dam thing and tell me what else
> you think is wrong?

Why would anybody do that? So you can call them "stupid" as well?

>     According to me the /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 partitions  each have a
> root directory. If you feel this is wrong then what is right?

I would call it the root of a partition, although there are probably
better terms. It is *not* "The root directory" and it is *not* "/".
Neither of these labels is accurate or correct, and they are extremely
likely to be confusing to a learner and misinterpreted.