Grub Manual

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 22:54:18 UTC 2007

> You start your blog. Just read what I have and see if you have just one
> root directory. I will agree there is just one per partition.
>

>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Like others I have multiple partitions on my Fedora boxes (I currently
have one FC6 and one FC5).  For someone who hasn't been around Windows
you have a Windows way of looking at things.  In Windows each
partition is assigned its own drive letter hence that partition sits
at the root of that drive letter.  In Linux everything is mounted at a
mount point.  Your boot partition is mounted at /boot (standard Linux
configuration).  Your home partition in your case is on its own
partition and mounted at /home.  Just because something sits on its
own partition does not mean it has its own root.  There is only one
root in Linux, /.  Everything else mounts off of that hence nothing
else can be said to be at root.

Again I say mount your boot partition at / (at root) thus you will be
able to truly say that the files system on that partition is at root.
Linux will allow you to do that (if you are root or a user with the
appropriate priviledges).  However don't expect your system to work
properly once you've done that.

As for scrutinizing the remainder of your "guide" and correct any
other problems (if there are others), that would be better received on
a personal blog, not on this listserv.  I don't need a blog.  I don't
have a desire to open a window into my home or write periodic reviews
or guides or whatever.  This listserv meets my needs.  Someone posts a
problem.  Others reply with suggestions on how to correct it.  The OP
eventually corrects it and posts a follow-up to that effect.

You perceive these postings as attacks on you.  I can't speak for
others but in my case it is not (and I honestly don't think that is
the case with others most times with perhaps the occasional
exception).  People are either simply correcting inaccuracies in your
statement, and/or pointing out that the posting in question doesn't
belong on the list because the list is not designed for people to post
their own "guides", especially using their own terminology.  Imagine
if 5 others decided to also post a mini-guide on grub and they also
chose to use their own terminology, not the proper terminology.  Users
searching archives for assistance on grub would quickly become very
confused and frustrated.

Several of us have vowed to stay out of your discussions.  But feel
compelled when we see the misinformation that could hurt another
user's experience with Linux thus hurting acceptance and adoption of
Linux.

I've said my piece.  If I feel the need to take it beyond this I'll
take it off list if you agree to that.

Jacques B.