SELinux last straw

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 18 23:30:24 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell:
>> And I am inclined to believe the claims like this:
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/CD0B9D97EE6FE411CC25736A000E4723
>> saying that there are large numbers of rootkitted linux boxes around
>> being used for evil purposes thet their owners don't even notice.

Arthur Pemberton:
> I actually don't believe that news article at all. It's full of
> technical problems, but that's another story all together.

Makes the classic blunder of blaming an OS for problems with the
software running on it.  The prime exploits are webservers, the prime
reason more Linux boxes would get exploited through a webserver would be
that more Linux personal computers have a webserver than a Windows box.
I'd also suggest that more webserver farms use Linux than Windows does,
because they can do so for free.  I'd pay more heed to statistics about
kept-up-to-date boxes were being exploited, whatever OS was involved.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.