How can I prevent terminal boot messages from being cleared

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Oct 19 04:13:23 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
: > Karl Larsen wrote:
: >    Hi Dean have you looked at dmesg? I do and it seems to have all that
: > you want to see and you can call it any time you desire.
:
: How do you know what Dean wants to see? There's more than just kernel
: messages on view.

Poor Karl.  He's gotten a (well deserved :-) beating today, hasn't he.

Karl, for your information, the following lines are a snippet of
some info that appears during the boot process but does not appear
anywhere in the output `dmesg', or in /var/log/{dmesg,messages}.

Waiting for driver initialization.
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.11.0-ioctl (2006-10-12) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com
Making device-mapper control node
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
  Found volume group "vg01" using metadata type lvm2
Activating logical volumes
  1 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg01" now active
Trying to resume from LABEL-SWAP-sda1
No suspend signature on swap, not resuming.
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.

: fwiw --clear works here for F7, no updates.

John, are you sure "--clear" _prevents_ clearing on your system.
I just replaced  the "-- noclear" strings in my /etc/inittab with
"--clear" (note the removal of the space) and now I get a long list of

/sbin/mingety: unrecognized option `--clear'
/sbin/mingety: unrecognized option `--clear'
/sbin/mingety: unrecognized option `--clear'
/sbin/mingety: unrecognized option `--clear'

at the end of the boot process.

Dean