Missing Dependency: libslang-utf8.so.1

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:05:02 UTC 2007

On 19/10/2007, Jamie Bohr <jamiebohr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where do I get libslang-utf8.so.1 from?  Mplayer will not install
> without it.    According to my searching on Google it is supposed to
> come with slang which IS installed.

Don't be so brief. If you expect assistance, offer at least a few
details. What do you mean when you say "IS installed"? Installed as an
RPM package? Installed from tarball sources? To RPM all that matters
is what is found in the RPM database. Show what slang rpm is
installed. I here get

$ rpm -q --whatprovides libslang-utf8.so.1
no package provides libslang-utf8.so.1

but

$ rpm -q --provides slang
libslang.so.2
libslang.so.2(SLANG2)
libslang.so.2(SLANG2.1.0)
libslang.so.2(SLANG2.1.1)
slang = 2.1.2-2.fc8

so based on that I assume you've got a completely different
installation. What do you mean with "Mplayer will not install"? Do you
try to install it as RPM? Remember, you need everything as rpms.